Sunday, May 6, 2012

                                              Week four  (I still excited by week3)

I've got to admit that I couldn't really read everything, had a tough week but as I went through some reading I keep finding good sites,  and those links shared by my classmates too. I just get so excited to have people to share my links with and from whom I can also be sure the links really work. As we this goes on all of us will have so many links and sites from where to take the ideas from, and using the ABCD objectives to keep things in control.
Writing is a problem in my country, since the students  are not motivated to practice these, or if so, it's in such a  robotic way, it's not surprising to find that some students can express themselves better when writing in English this is because only n their English class they're motivated to write their thoughts.
The website http://www.breakingnewsenglish.com/  BREAKING NEWS ENGLISH has some interesting reading and writings guide. I definitely  going to share this with my mates from work.
On one of the posts on nicenet was to write about the problem that your group has. I wrote that my students are very talkative in their own language but when it comes to use English they just paralyze, I had my usual meeting on Fridays, time when all the teachers from the institute sit and talk about how their classes are going, the surprise was that they also have the same situation that I mentioned previously.
I hope I can finally find some activities to make them take what they know from inside out.

Stefani

6 comments:

  1. I know what you mean, Stefani. It's hard to find time to read all the readings and look at all the great websites and links everyone is sharing. There is so much information out there!

    Isn't it amazing how we all seem to have the same problems, regardless of where we teach or the age of our students?

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but luckily we have Delicious to save our webpages for a near future use.

      Delete
  2. Dear Stefani,

    I totally agree with your situation. Students love to chat no matter where they are...provided if their speak in their mother tongue. They talk about the latest gossips, the latest trends, what they suppose to wear whenever they want to hang out, boys (for most of the girls), girls (for most of the boys) and even making fun or talk about their frustrations about the teachers. Yes, Yes, and YES....when it comes to English, suddenly the HOT SPOT became extremely dull and COLD.
    What worsen the problem, even most teachers are in total silence when it comes to speaking English.Based on my observation during short courses with fellow teachers from other districts, most teachers did not even try to converse in English (i'm particularly refering to English teachers). I had been taught that teachers have the biggest responsibility to set a good example to students. When students see teachers (esp English teachers) conversing in their mother tongue,students have the impression that "WE ONLY SPEAK ENGLISH IN THE CLASSROOM AND WE SHOULD SPEAK IN OUR MOTHER TONGUE WHEN WE SPEAK WITH OUR FRIENDS". It is a sad thing when this happen because it prevents students to practice English outside the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, thank you for sharing the website. It helps me a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,Stefani!
    I am very pleased to collaborate with you.
    I wish all the best.
    Svetlana.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stefani,

    Where are you? haven't heard from you for a while. I hope you're well and I just want to wish you everything the best before the course is over. Enjoy sharing your new skills with your students!

    Ruta

    ReplyDelete